Dear Sisters

Dear Sisters
Highland 12th Ward Sisters

Monday, May 6, 2013

Fun with Composition Books!

Young Women Camp Journals
Tuesday night the Young Women are going to be decorating the covers of those old faithful composition books to be journals for camp.  If your daughter is in YW could you please make sure she has what she needs...a list should have been given to her.  The books are being provided.

Ever since I was a young teen I have loved decorating  notebooks to be a kind of "smash book" for my dreams and ideas.  I wrote poetry, copied John Denver song lyrics...and designed bridesmaids dresses for my future wedding...lol!  They were also scrapbooks of pictures cut from magazines like Seventeen.  I still have these notebooks.  Looking through them is like a nostalgic trip through my adolescent dreamland.

A Few Examples... 
Two of the books I decorated for my granddaughters.
They were "back-to-school" gifts.
I bought a whole stack of the black and white books at Walmart
on clearance for 40 cents each.

The back of the books.
I used pictures found online and scrapbook paper.

I chose a Paris theme for some I made as gifts for my VT sisters.

"Moulin Rouge"

This is a small version I have had in my purse since 2007.
I have six years of Christmas lists in this little book...plus to-do lists and plans.

It's fun to mix colors and patterns.
The girls can use rick rack or ribbon for trims.
 
I have seen some decorated books on Pinterest that are works of art!  I think I am more of a "less is more" kind of girl.  What is important is that the girls have fun expressing their own tastes and personalities.  If desired...when the girls bring them home...a coat of mod podge brushed over the front and back will help seal and protect her journal.  Which is how my little pocket journal has lasted these many years!
 
On a related note...
Pinterest Pin of the Week!
 
Life Story Pages to Print
In Becky's blog she posted about a YW journaling activity...it was several years ago...but the pdf files are still there and active.  I thought these pages were great for getting started in writing one's personal history.  There are two versions...one for teens and one for adults.  I have downloaded them to my computer to print later.

By the way, the binders are “half pint” binders, or in other words, they hold papers that are 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ (which is half the standard size). If you can’t find them at your local office supply shop, look online. Just do a search for “5.5 x 8.5 binder”.
 
Becky's Young Women decorated their covers at the activity as well as beginning to "fill in the blanks."
 
Happy Spring!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...